Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Passing the torch.

Hiya! 
Well this has just been a wonderful week! We had interviews with President on Friday, I went to the temple on Saturday, and Liza was baptised on Sunday!! Oh how great are the tender mercies of the Lord! He is so so good and great. His love is abounding and so tender! I feel so grateful at the love and the miracles I have seen.  
In my interview with President, I asked him for a blessing and he said that my service was accepted by the Lord. Oh what joy filled my heart! Then as I went to the temple, I really prayed to feel that my service was accepted, and the peace and love that came into my heart are unmeasurable. Oh how I love Father in Heaven. And oh how I love the temple!! To know we are redeemed and enabled and empowered to change and become and grow and progress! There is no greater joy! 

And then Liza was baptised on Sunday! I have not known her very long but she is so sweet and the journey has been long with her family being reactivated. The spirit was so so sweet as she was baptised and confirmed. God is so good. 

We had such an adventure getting to the temple haha! Sister Quinn and I go home together and are serving close to each other. To get to the temple, sister Quinn and I did an exchange, slept at the Thetford flat with the Thetford sisters on Friday night and then drove to the temple on Saturday morning with a Texan sister and her husband that live on the American army base. They were driving an American car which was sooooo weird because we were on the left side of the road! It took us around 2.5 hours to get to Surrey. It was a fun drive :). 
We went to the visitor centre and the 11:15 endowment session. Oh how happy it made my heart! Then I met up with sister Katrnakova and ..., Sister Park!!!!!!! Whom I love!!!!! It was so good to see her. We all went to a pub for lunch (right around the corner from the temple) where there was a picture of the temple hanging on the wall!! Hahaha!  A temple in a pub! They probably have no idea. 
We also were able to identify our friend L--concern about church. She has some anxiety and I was able to share testimony with her of the anxieties I have struggled with. We made some really good plans to help her come to church at her pace :). 

I just love my companion! She is just so amazing and she shows me so much love. I am grateful for her! 
Life is good and the church is true! 
I love you all! My thoughts and prayers are ever with you!! Keep going strong! 

Love, sister Coleman I ( Sis. Coleman the first )

P.S. When I was in the temple, I finally felt like it is ok for me to come home. I have been feeling a lot of anxiety about coming home, but as I was in the temple I finally felt a peace that it is right for me to return and move on. As I have had those thoughts I wrote out a piece (I don't know if it would qualify as prose? Not sure..... But wanted to share it with you all.) 

Passing the torch (torch as in the Olympic torch not a flashlight) 

The tips of my shoes are faded to navy instead of the crisp black they once were. 
The heels are worn down and many scuff marks pocket the sides from the many times I have tripped over the cobblestones. They were a nuisance in the beginning when, untried and brand new, they gave my feet blisters when I walked the halls of the MTC.
 There I watched the snow fall and the mountain tops be dusted with white as I wondered what would the next 18 months be like? 
That is when I first received my torch.
 
I entered England with her gorgeous green hills and lamp posts that shine through the rain, a bit like those shoes- untried and brand new. 
Those first few weeks I tripped as I walked and as I talked, but I began to learn how to carry the message and share Christ's light with others.
 I learned how to flag down a double decker bus and begin a conversation with whomever I sat by. 
I prayed and fasted for courage and for faith as I earnestly searched the scriptures and learned how to teach.
 That is when my torch began to light. 

As time passed, I began to feel dissatisfied with my torch.
 I thought it should be better and brighter. I tried to hasten its growth and denied it patience and mercy.
 I was unyielding with myself. I could not see the warmth and the light it was already giving.
 My poor torch lost its joy and fearfully watched the darkness it was trying to battle creep in upon it.
 The flames began to flicker and wink in and out.
 My torch grew heavier and harder to carry.   
That is when I wondered if my torch would make it to the end.

Then I met the Torch Maker.
 The One that gives the flame to each torch bearer.
 He came and found me in my cold corner with nothing but my flickering light.
 He took me by the hand and raised me to my feet.
 He held me in His arms until my light began to grow again.
 With one more embrace He told me, 'as I have done it unto you, go and do likewise.' And I determined to search for those with flickering lights and those who had no torch, and share His and my light with them. 
That is when I engraved His name upon my torch. 

With His name upon my torch, the darkness could not prevail around me. 
My heart was filled with joy as I truly strived to give over my whole heart and will and mind to the Maker and Master of us all. 
My torch was refined and changed and my faith grew steadily. 
I was bolder and more diligent in sharing His light. I established lasting friendships with those whom I shared my light and those who shared their light with me as we came to know the Maker together. 
That is when my torch fuelled Joy. 

Now I can see the finish line.
 It is not far off and rapidly approaching.
 How has time gone so fast?
 It feels like it has been a brief moment, but my battered shoes tell me otherwise.
 How can I leave this behind? 
How can I say goodbye to these people and this land that have become an inseparable piece of my soul? 
 My heart trembles at the thought. 
And yet I know that it's time for a new journey.
 The Torch Maker is preparing a new torch for me. 
I know that it is time to pass my torch on and build a new one.
 How fortunate am I, that I know exactly who I am passing my torch to?
 That the torch I have lifted beneath the cloudy skies of London will soon be under the California sun!!!

What great rejoicing we will have the day we are reunited! 
But for now I will be content in knowing that I found true happiness during my labors here.
 I will trust in the Maker and let him lead me to the next step.
 I am forever grateful that He let me carry His light.
 And for the joy it gave me to bask in it.
 Which same joy I will soon share with my sister, who bears my torch. 
This is when I pass the torch. 


Have fun in he MTC Emy! You are going to move mountains!! Xoxoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik