Monday, December 1, 2014

Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows and the Potters

So there is a Potter family in my ward. the Potters. in my ward. SOOOOO COOL. They are awesome and we are spending Christmas Eve with them!! YAY!
 I made my first ever pumpkin pies all by myself for Thanksgiving. They turned out great but I did drop half of one on the ground... :)
All of the English YSA ( Young Single Adults ) came to Thanksgiving and were totally freaked out by the sweet potatoes with marshmallows on them.  hahaha  Most of them who tried it ate it as dessert because they couldnt handle having sweet and savory flavors at the same time hahaha. It was awesome!
 Saturday Sister Griffith, Elder Mongelli, Elder Wu, and I decided to go' Banner Finding' at town center (diagon alley) in Canterbury. We set up a banner that had mormon.org etc and a picture of Christ on it. Sister G and I sang Christmas songs and Hymns while the elders talked to people on the street. Our goal was to find 4 new investigators with this activity. We didnt even get one. BOOM so disappointing. We sang for so long and so loud our throats were raw. At one point a little English Girl in a sleeping beauty dress approached us and we sang Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer with her. We were starving after this so we got Mcdonalds and then went to get our stuff from the chapel. We were expecting another appointment to come meet us there but he' hosed 'us (didnt show up UK English) . so went outside the chapel to street contact/OYM (open your mouth). We didnt get anyone to stop and talk with us for awhile but then we stopped one man and he said he had seen us singing at town center. We talked for him for about an hour he told us that our singing had been beautiful and he could tell it was straight from our hearts and from Christ. TOTALLY made my day. Even if we didn't get any more investigators, if we succeeded in helping people feel the love of the Saviour we suceeded.
We met a girl,' A', taught her the first lesson, she came to church, and she is planning to get baptized in January! YAY! Please pray for her. Please pray that we will find the people who are searching for the truth.
The Church has launched a really cool initiative for December. It is called HEistheGift. It is a 3 minute film about why Jesus Christ is the focus of Christmas. It is beautiful and wonderful and inspired. I love it. watch it here: christmas.mormon.org
We missionaries have been given special he is the gift pass along cards for this initiative. On December 7 the Church has bought out all the ads on the homescreen of Youtube. There will also be Time Square displays. The goal is to #SharetheGift. Help people discover Christ, embrace Christ, and share their beliefs. Christ is Christmas. Everyone EVERYONE needs to know. Its great. Life is great. Sister Griffith is great. Missionary Work is hard and sometimes disappointing but the church is true. Every single person on this earth can find out for themselves that the church is true. Through faith, scripture study, and diligent prayer. Every one can know. One of the ways I am seeking to Discover and Embrace the Gift is through reading the four Gospels before Christmas.
Oh I LOVE my sheepy linens they are LOVELY and make me laugh. ALSO. There are laundry dryer sheets in all of my clothes and now ALL around my apartment haha.
The biggest struggle of my life are the sinks. In England, there isn't just one faucet. There are two. One has hot water and the other cold. So when you want to wash your hands you either burn your hands, freeze them, try and go a back and forth thing, or (what you are suppose to do but I think its germy) is plug up the sink and let it fill up with water and then wash your hands in the basin. UGH. hahaha but its fine really. The struggle is real. So are the cobblestones. I trip on them ALL the time. I swear everytime I do all the Englishmen are thinking, OH there's an American! haha but its funny. and Sis G and I laugh about it.
Mailing address:
30 London Road
Canterbury, Kent
CT28LN

How you got to Canterbury:
So I got off the plane, and was met by Elder Davis who is a Senior Missionary from England. We drove through London to the Hyde Park Chapel/Visitors Center/Mission office where we were all day in meetings, interviews, and even street contacting (this is when I seriously COULD NOT keep my eyes open). Then I met Sister Griffith. We hauled all my luggage and the large one without a handle through the tube to a long distance train where Brother and Sister Jones met us and took us to our flat (9:00 pm). Then I crashed. :)

Where do you eat dinner? lunch?:
I have only been fed by the ward once. We are trying to build up our relationships with the ward so this can happen more often and we can teach more lessons (and get more referrals from them.) So usually sister Griffith and I make something for ourselves or we go buy something. We ate at Subway the other day and McDonalds. :)

Impressions of Pres and Sis Jordan?:
They are scary. ;) but really you dont mess with the Jordans. They are very Professional and Buisness like which is good. I havent had any personal interactions with them yet but im okay with it :)

Future recordings of you singing!!!! :
Sister Griffith and I are singing Carol of Joy this Wednesday at the Ward Relief Society Christmas Party. I will ask someone to record it:)
ALSO. I can totally listen to good wholesome music. Forgotten Carols PLEASE!! Also have you ever listened to "The Lamb of God"? it is kind of like the Messiah but just the last week of Christ's life. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. listen to it.
How are you? What are you up to? What did you do this week? What are your plans this week? I love you all! Im out of time!
I havent sent pictures because I think I left my camera charger/cord at the MTC. hopefully buying a new one this week from the shop!
love you!
LOVE,
Sister Coleman

1 comment:

  1. Wash hands quickly under hot tab as it heats up and carry hand sanitizer. ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik