Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sis. Mahaffey and the U pipe



Hiya! 
So my new companion is Sister Mahaffey and I love her. She is from St. Louis Missouri and is just hilarious. We laugh all the time. everywhere. its so great. 
Miracle: So we had one appointment get hosed and we decided to go visit some less actives in the area. We knocked on the door and she didnt live there anymore. As we were walking away (I started to eat an apple) I had the thought: we should knock on the neighbours doors.
 Me: I dont want to do that. I just want to eat my apple. 
Thought: we really need to go knock on their neighbours
Me: I REALLy dont want to. 
Thought: we should knock on their neighbours
Me to Sister Mahaffey: 'We should knock on their neighbours'.
So we did. The first house an older lady who yelled at us to go away. The next few houses weren't in or weren't interested. Then we came to the next house and I had the idea that we should sing to them. Sister Mahaffey was like 'what?!' But she said we could do it. A teenage girl answered the door and I said, 'Hi my friend and I are in the neighbourhood just singing to people, can we sing for you?' she said sure. We proceeded to sing Nearer my God to thee. Which was a struggle since I have an obnoxious cough but Sister Mahaffey did a fantastic job. As we finished singing, the girl's mom came down the stairs and told us how much she loved the song. She invited us in. We were able to talk to her and her family for a long time about the Book of Mormon and we had a prayer.  She invited us to come back on Tuesday to sing (she wants to record it) and share more of the gospel with her. It was a miracle. It was amazing. This is Heavenly Father's work. 
Because we are missionaries, we went tracting on Valentines Day. That wasn't our plan. We planned to go see an Elderly member and share valentines with her. But as we were walking, we kept getting prompted to knock on certain doors. The number on the houses would just stick out in my brain, and wouldn't
(Sister Mahaffey)
 go away until we had knocked on that particular door. I learned a lot. We even have a few new potential investigators! :)
There is a zoo. in Colchester. and a castle. I can't wait to go. 
I just struggle so much with so many things and its hilarious. Earlier in the week I was making pasta and chicken for dinner. But we didnt have a pasta strainer so I tried to use the lid, but I ended up dropping half of the pasta in the sink........... Instead of just scooping the pasta out like a normal human being and throwing it in the rubbish bin, I decided to try and shove it down the drain. ........... I ended up clogging the sink with pasta.... we had to untwist the U pipe and let all the pasta fall out.... and then we had to stick a stick in to fish out the rest..... :) I'm so special. 
AND THEN. 
A couple days later Sister Mahaffey was an angel and made me some Hot Chocolate. While she was in the W.C. I decided to return the favor and make her some. I thought it was funny that she had poured out the hot chocolate powder in a mug and then not cooked it, so I filled up the mug with water and put it in the microwave...........................................It was cinnamon and sugar. not. hot chocolate. the struggle is real. 
The members in Colchester are fantastic! I already have had 2 meal appointments! its only been a week! and there are 2 other missionary companionships in our ward. so awesome. I feel so spoiled :). 
We are teaching a little girl about the gospel. She is 8 years old. Her mom sits in on the lessons, but 'B' is the one who really wants to learn more. We got her a Book of Mormon stories book and she already has read about Joseph Smith and Lehi leaving Jerusalem. She is amazing. 
We helped a family in our ward move house the other day! it was cold! and I got to wear trousers! so that was sweet. It was fun to work and serve:)>
Is Valentines celebrated here? Yes.   Is it a big deal? yes. signs all over the place. 
There are so many single women with babies. soooo many. Its so similar to the Call the Midwife show. They aren't married and they usually have 2-3 children. But they have really cute baby prams. 
 In other News:
"G" Got BAPTISED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I haven't heard or seen if "J" did also, but I think she did. 
The church is true ladies and Gentlemen. the church is true. 
love, Sister Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik